Sunrise Friendship Forum

Sunrise Friendship Forum is a forum for the whole family! Relax, chat and make new friends.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Immigration - The Taboo Topic

Go down 
AuthorMessage
steel bat
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:46 am

In all our Western so called free and democratic countries, politicians of mainstream parties seem to find immigration a bit of a taboo subject - but it is a subject that has an effect on our societies and about which many people have an opinion - and with the thought that this a forum which includes debate, is why I have started a thread on this subject.

But I would like to remind anyone contributing of our rules -
Quote :
No "Offensive" Posts, Links or Images: Please do not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, racist, sexist, discriminatory, or otherwise violative of any local or international laws. ...................
Staff will ultimately decide if something is appropriate or not.
And please remember that this is a "friendship forum" and that we wish to recruit and welcome new members from anywhere in the World and from any religion, creed or sect.

SB.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://steelbat.weebly.com
steel bat
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   Sun Dec 25, 2011 1:19 am

Forgive the double post but to express my own opinion -
I live on the edge of London and am a delivery driver working mostly in the densly populated western suburbs around Heathrow Airport where I am meeting people from a great many ethnic backgrounds.
For the great majority, most that I meet are simply just people wanting somewhere to live and make an earning and while my preference might be that Britain was not such a crowded place, when one considers that many immigrants come from Third World countries, one can understand them wanting a slice of our comparitively affluent lifestyle.
There are now those who, while of different ethnic origin, are sometimes of several generations born here, so I believe it is a foolishness to think that they are now ever just going to go away.
The reality is that in the long term, somehow, we have no choice but to learn how to live together.

However, what I do have little regard for are those few who bring with them extreme ideas and who would seek to radically change our society against the wish of the majority, even to the extent of using violence.

Back to top Go down
fyrefly

PostSubject: Re: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:38 pm

steel bat wrote:
Forgive the double post but to express my own opinion -
I live on the edge of London and am a delivery driver working mostly in the densly populated western suburbs around Heathrow Airport where I am meeting people from a great many ethnic backgrounds.
For the great majority, most that I meet are simply just people wanting somewhere to live and make an earning and while my preference might be that Britain was not such a crowded place, when one considers that many immigrants come from Third World countries, one can understand them wanting a slice of our comparitively affluent lifestyle.
There are now those who, while of different ethnic origin, are sometimes of several generations born here, so I believe it is a foolishness to think that they are now ever just going to go away.
The reality is that in the long term, somehow, we have no choice but to learn how to live together.

However, what I do have little regard for are those few who bring with them extreme ideas and who would seek to radically change our society against the wish of the majority, even to the extent of using violence.

well said steel bat.
i have nothing really against it but for a few things.
Here, there is always mexicans coming. i would not mind the fact except that they seem to recieve privilieges that other immigrants do not. i have relatives who were not born in the USA, so i know they had a lot harder of a time to get their american citizenship. they had to learn to speak English, etc........ why should it be different for the mexicans? the more it goes, the more mexican things i see. before i could look at a sign, or read directions, or look at the nutrition chart without seeing spanish. now it's everywhere. it's even bothersome sometimes just finding english! the problem is that the mexicans don't really bother learning english! i knew a businessman who learned spanish solely to communicate with his mexicans workers. i think if they come to the USA then they like anyone else should learn to speak english and get everything else required of them. this is not a spanish speaking country. we should not have to make such change things for them. they also work for dirt cheap. the problem with that, is that they make it difficult for other people. people don't want to spend more than they have too, so naturally they will go for them. and these days, that's really difficult to work with.
putting that aside, i see no reason why not. everyone needs to make a living, and maybe they couldn't make there, so they come for a fresh start. and any other reasons really.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Millie

PostSubject: Re: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:09 pm

Like Squirrels, Mice, Rabbits, and other similar …world people will ‘never’ mix.
The only thing is to keep them from intruding on each other.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ember

PostSubject: Re: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:36 pm

both mine and my husband's family were all from Ireland..some went to America and some came to Scotland..there will always be people who move from one country to another but as said..there's no need for the extreme that goes with some of them but saying that with family from Ireland and growing up in the west coast of Scotland..we have our own extremes to do with religion here ..wherever you go they'll be people trying to change things to their own liking until there is one way of life that we all follow ..but who would want that
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Millie

PostSubject: Re: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:32 am

Yuh. You said the key word there, Ember ….‘religion’.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMGeh6dN7co&feature=related

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheka

PostSubject: Re: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:19 pm

I have no objection to any races living in any countries but I do object to the fact that a lot of imigrants don't bother to learn the language of the "host" country and they try to change the way things are done.IMO if you go to live in another country you should learn the language AND live by that countries rules,not exspect specail schools,swimming bathes to be closed one afternoon a week to let muslim ladies swim as they are not allowed to be seen undressed by men.Have your own religion by all means but don't try to enforce it on others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Millie

PostSubject: Re: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:35 pm

Sheka wrote:
I have no objection to any races living in any countries but I do object to the fact that a lot of imigrants don't bother to learn the language of the "host" country and they try to change the way things are done.IMO if you go to live in another country you should learn the language AND live by that countries rules,not exspect specail schools,swimming bathes to be closed one afternoon a week to let muslim ladies swim as they are not allowed to be seen undressed by men.Have your own religion by all means but don't try to enforce it on others.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:33 pm

Wow, hot topic!

I think I have a different view to most people. This isn't a new thing its been going on for 100's of years. The immigration problem is all our own fault, so we really can't moan about it. We did it to ourselves!

A couple of hundred years ago we British would sail around the world and invade countries at will to add them to our Empire. We made them speak English, we told them to change to our religion and we tried to make them act and live like British. Then we'd bring them here to work for us!
After both world wars we needed more workers, so we brought them in from the British Colonies to live and work here the British way!

Then in the 70's we joined the EU and opened our doors ro Europe, bringing more people here. Europe grows and with our doors still wide open even more immigrants arrive.
Then we moan about them and we try to lock the doors, but this is all far too late.

The immigrants didn't cause the problem, we did!

What we need to do now is accept each other and get along with life together. That's the only way forward!

Well, that's my opinion.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheka

PostSubject: Re: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:58 pm

I totally agree Mars we did start it but it isn't this generation.As you say it was 100's of years ago.We ,Britain..brought slaves..but it wasn't this generation.So do we really have to pay for what our fore fathers did.Do the present day Germans pay for what Hitler did..no and they shouldn't either.
In an ideal world we should all live as one...but that is never going to happen.I am in no way racist but I do still say live by your host countries rules.Where I live we have a lot of muslims,they have a right to live as do everyone but please don't walk down the street where I live and look at me like I'm nothing.My family have lived here for generations so should I not get treated with respect.A hello would surfice.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BanksyRat

PostSubject: Re: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:07 pm

Politeness goes a long way in my village and not making waves keeps people happy because most of them dislike foreigners but never dare say so. Fair enough, they'd be about the same age as my old Grandpa, and fought wars, grafted hard and paid their taxes. These self same people have taken early retirement to spend time pootling around on their smart, shiny and expensive yachts moored in the same harbour as my steel hulked old fishing boat, moored a few vessels down. Mooring costs are relative. You pay according to the length of your boat, not the nationality you are. Mine is 40' LOA and I pay the same amount as a Rolex- wearing geezer with an Oxford accent who rants off in our local yacht club about immigrants. He likes me; I always smile and be pleasant, always polite. Little does he know I'm from a Czech immigrant family who made their money building up a cargo business...

This afternoon I stood in my grubby old grease stained boiler suit and had my picture taken next to this guy who was wearing the same garb. The man complimented me, said I had "True British grit!" for repairing in my decommissioned fishing boat instead of shelling out for a shipwright. I said thanks very much mate. Haha if only he knew I was "one of them" from round these parts, but instead I shut it and fly the British afro just to keep 'em happy.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. But when in Prague I'll hoist my nation's flag and salute it like the best of 'em.

Surprised

Back to top Go down
View user profile
fyrefly

PostSubject: Re: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:23 pm

good point Bansky. anyway, when you look at it, most are not even native in the first place. here, they are many who aren't native, which anyway, in my opinion, the natives of america is the indians. they were here first. we invaded.
in the end, we are people of different origins, living together. sometimes i wish people would remember that. just because their family has been in the area for a few generations, they think they are the ones who truly belong, and the newcomers have nothing to do there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steel bat
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:28 am

Have you seen how many official documents are being produced in a multitude languages ?

I really think that this should not be done and that all official forms and documents should be produced in the offical language of Great Britain - English.
Obviously some forms will require a translation for recently arrived immigrants, but that should only happen when there is a specific need for a translation.
As a balance, access to English language classes should be made as easy as possible.
Perhaps even to the extent of tutors positively going into communities and seeking out those with a need.
Back to top Go down
fyrefly

PostSubject: Re: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:33 am

steel bat wrote:
Have you seen how many official documents are being produced in a multitude languages ?

I really think that this should not be done and that all official forms and documents should be produced in the offical language of Great Britain - English.
Obviously some forms will require a translation for recently arrived immigrants, but that should only happen when there is a specific need for a translation.
As a balance, access to English language classes should be made as easy as possible.
Perhaps even to the extent of tutors positively going into communities and seeking out those with a need.

i agree.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sabbi
Supermod
Supermod

PostSubject: Re: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:40 pm

fyrefly wrote:
steel bat wrote:

i agree.

I agree also. When you live in Great Britain or any other country, you should live by the rules of that country. What an individual does in his or her home is only their business but on the street, our business, as i say our country, our rules.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cheffran

PostSubject: Re: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   Tue May 29, 2012 7:21 pm

I agree with all of you, plus they should learn English. After all if we travel to a foreign land the folks in that land don't go out of their way to speak our language. Nor should they. When I went to Denmark, I had an English/Danish Book and my cousins had a Danish/English book. That was how we communicated having lots of fun doing so. I said to them in English this is whatever it was, and they in turn said in Danish this is whatever it was. Am I making sense here? I knew what I was doing and I hope I have not confused anyone here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
woo

PostSubject: Re: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:38 pm

I have no quams as such with other people coming to our country, maybe to earn a living and to keep costs down at our end, after all thats whats happening.

My main concern is that we have so many others over here that our own country is suffering massively for lacl of work and homes.

We have jobless, homeless people in britain too and the numbers are rising, support is dwindling and yet we continue to open our arms to more foreigners and loan money to other countries at the cost of our own people and country, its craziness, when will they draw the line ? xxx
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thetwilighthour.forumotion.co.uk/
Tomonag

PostSubject: Re: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:42 am

I just don't know what to believe anymore. I'm all against all odds. :/
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Immigration - The Taboo Topic   

Back to top Go down

Immigration - The Taboo Topic
Page 1 of 1