Sunrise Friendship Forum

Sunrise Friendship Forum is a forum for the whole family! Relax, chat and make new friends.

HomeCalendarGalleryFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

E-books or real books?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BanksyRat

PostSubject: E-books or real books?   Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:55 am

Nothing beats the feel of paper between one's fingers, so a real book is something that also looks good shelvved up when not in use. Except when books, so popular, begin to mount up. Imagine having a floor-to-ceiling shelf containing hundreds of books when really, a Kindle could easily contain as many. And you carry the Kindle around in your bag.

For or against? Initial cost of a Kindle might seem a lot even the cheapest, but many e-books cost little to nothing, and all the Classics are free.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sabbi
Supermod
Supermod

PostSubject: Re: E-books or real books?   Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:03 am

I like the feel of the real thing in my hands, i'll take a book every time. Surprised

PostSubject: Re: E-books or real books?   Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:23 am

i agree. Kindle does have it's merits, but compared to a "real" book.....it's left in the dust! Laughing
despite that i do still find the idea practical. you can "carry" several books with you wherever you are. but personally reading a book on a screen gets a bit tiring for the eyes after awhile then when reading an actual book.
and then, what happens when the kindle stops working or something? then it's all gone.
at least unless there is a fire or such, my books won't "crash" on me.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
BanksyRat

PostSubject: Re: E-books or real books?   Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:09 am

Interesting you mentioned concern of a Kindle crashing, fyrefly, but out of curiosity I visited amazon to check out the 10,480 buyer reviews and didn't find any complaint of one crashing. But it does save space, and this morning while hoovering I looked up at the racks of books and realized my buying this e-book reader was the greatest space saver of all time. I keep my book collection under the Dewey System, otherwise I'd be forever searching. But with my 'K', can find any book by its author in a few shakes.

Each category I have at least 400 downloaded books that must total at around err, 1,800 many of which were by debut authors who became popular, whose books are still free. And "free" means just that, plus some 200 classics. Plus a load of DIY books as I'm handy with a screwdriver, a drill but an evil temper when DIY projects go *its up and a few bruised thumbs besides. Want to work on my boat? Take my K, slip it into my tool box and off I go. Can't take a massive DIY book as dad's old Readers Digest tome weighs a ton and would cause RSI within minutes.

Come a chilly autumn when the fire's lit I'll put my feet up and thumb through a favourite book from my shelf. Maybe Joseph Conrad or some romantic slush that will jerk a few tears because I'm a sentimental woman, even for dusty old books bought second hand after spending half the morning in my town's old bookshop. Yep! I simply love bookshops. Not your Waterstones for me, but a fusty old antiquarian bookshop owned by a cardi wearing old man who'll have brought me a mug of tea and said "make yourself at home, lovely. I'll see you in three hours."

Bless his heart. Smile

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tomonag

PostSubject: Re: E-books or real books?   Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:48 pm

Real book and I don't even read unless I'm communicating or research.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
steel bat
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: E-books or real books?   Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:42 am

I don't thnik Kindle will ever surpass paper books but I must admit it is very convenient just to download a book, for usually much less than cost of the paper book or sometimes even forfree.

PostSubject: Re: E-books or real books?   

Back to top Go down

E-books or real books?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Sunrise Friendship Forum :: Sunrise Relaxing :: News, Debate & General Chat-
Jump to: